Monday, June 15, 2015

Give Me This Mountain

Hi mom! This week was transfers again so everything has been really
crazy so I don't have a ton of time to email but I just wanted to talk
about what you said at the end of your last email.

To be honest that's something that I've struggled with for a long long
time and it's also a concern that so many people that I run into or
talk to or teach have. They've had these terrible and awful trials
come into their lives and they want to know why God is punishing them
while their whole life all they've tried to do is to be good. Elder
Nielson, who spoke in the last General Conference came up to our
mission last week to train us on using our iPads. On thing he said
really stuck out to me. He said something like this- I don't
understand why when members of the church get a trial in their life or
a challenge they freak out. Our whole purpose in coming to this earth
is to be tried and tested. When trials come your way all that is is a
sign that gods plan is working- Joseph Smith in his Lectures on Faith
once said "a religion that does not require the sacrifices of all
things never has power sufficient to produce the faith necessary unto
life and salvation." In the Temple we also agree that we will live the
Law of Consecration meaning that we covenant to sacrifice all things,
even our very lives (or the lives of other people) for the Gospel. I
even think that means giving someone up for a small amount of time on
this earth. I'm sure you've seen it but go watch the Mormon message
"Mountains to Climb" on the gospel library app. I don't mean to be all
preachy but these are just some things that have helped me! Know that
I love ya mom!!!

-Elder Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment